Global News

December 13, 2012

Autism and unacceptable behavior

Jeff Katz


Even when Nate couldn’t control his actions, Karen and I wouldn’t tolerate it. We knew he couldn’t help himself; that was clear. However, once he settled down we made a point to explain that what he did or said was wrong and that he had to apologize to the person he’d harmed.

I do understand when parents of any challenged child let bad behavior slide. It’s the old “the kid has enough problems, why bother,” approach. But these kids do grow up and they grow up into a world where acting like a jerk isn’t glossed over, especially if the inappropriate action isn’t followed up by at least a modicum of remorse. Nate has, I’m pleased to say, become a very polite adult.

That’s not to say he doesn’t stick his foot in his mouth. When he does, I make him say he’s sorry; that’s about all I can do. Am I embarrassed? Not really. Are these moments hysterically funny? Usually.

Here are a few of those moments.  Read more > 

No comments:

Post a Comment