Global News

September 5, 2012

Autism can have large effects, good and bad, on a disabled child’s siblings

Family Photo/FAMILY PHOTO - Ranit Mishori, top, with her brother Dror, who suffers from autism.
By Ranit Mishori, Published: September 3 | Washingtonpost.com
One of the least fun moments I recall from my years of growing up with an autistic brother was when he bit me on the cheek — just in time for my class photo. I was 12 and he was 11. I went into school with visible bite marks, and when they sat me in the chair for my solo shot, I told them that the cat had done it.

That’s one of the bad stories. As for a good one . . . um, to be honest, I have a hard time coming up with much.

I know that people are warmed by stories of siblings who selflessly shower the disabled child with love, attention and support. I think that’s great, too. And it’s for real for some siblings. But for many of us, relating to a sibling who is on the autism spectrum can be complicated.... READ MORE >>

No comments:

Post a Comment