October 7, 2012

Adults with Autism: becoming the directors of their own treatment teams and treatment plans

Michelle Garcia Winner

Many of our students/clients received some level of support through school based 504 plans, IEPs and/or from counsellors, psychologists and psychiatrists in their community as children and into their high school years.

Turning 18 years old in the United States results in a person being referred to as an “adult” or “young adult.” This means they are legally responsible for their actions and based on their parents’ decision, they are potentially responsible financially for all of their costs of living, education, etc. However, many parents continue to financially support their young adult/adult children while they pursue post-secondary education as well as assist with living costs if their “children” are unable support themselves. To parents this may feel like their adult-children continue to require extra educational, psychological, social skills and/or life-skills counseling to help them learn to live more independently as an adult. While parents may fund these extra educational/therapeutic adult services, parents are not typically permitted the same direct access to their adult-children’s service providers. Instead it is expected adult-children can independently understand how to utilize the information they are gaining from these treatment services and then directly apply strategies learned as needed across their school, vocational, community or home experiences. Read more >>

Becoming the Director of Your Own Treatment Team
The following are some ideas we are exploring to help our students take on more responsibility for guiding their treatment professionals (even parents) and using what they are learning more effectively.
Download the full worksheet here as a PDF


Courtesy of Social Thinking
Image courtesy of suphakit73 /

No comments:

Post a Comment