Global News

July 6, 2012

'All my life I've known that I was different'





Laurence Mitchell was bullied at school and struggled in relationships. So when he learnt he had Asperger's at 47, it was a relief

Laurence Mitchell was aware that there was something different about him from his early days at school. His fellow pupils would bully him because of his awkwardness in communication. Even his teachers would single him out in front of the class when he failed to perform. "I was picked on by the bullies," he says. "They would get into my pockets every week to see what they could take. That was at the age of 11. My parents didn't know what was wrong with me."

It all became clear when the 58-year-old reached the age of 47 and visited the Priory clinic. He felt he needed a psychiatric assessment because of his obsessive personality. There, he was diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome – an autism spectrum disorder.

In some ways he felt a sense of relief, but he believes there are many other people out there – perhaps older than him – who are still not diagnosed but suffering from... READ MORE >>


No comments:

Post a Comment